Change Registered Agents in Montana

There are two ways to change registered agents in Montana. You can either make the change on your Annual Report, or you can file a Statement of Change form with the Secretary of State.

Make the Change on Your Annual Report

When you file a Montana Annual Report, you are allowed to change your registered agent. Annual Reports are filed online through the Secretary of State website (it is possible to file a paper or faxed copy, but the Secretary of State encourages online filing). When you update your information on the Annual Report, there is a section for appointing a Montana registered agent.

You can easily change your registered agent to us by selecting Montana Registered Agent LLC from the drop down menu.

Annual Reports must be filed between January 1 and April 15. There is a $15 filing fee. If you file after April 15, there is a $15 late fee.

Learn more at our page: File Your Montana Annual Report.

File a Statement of Change

You can change a registered agent in Montana by filing a Statement of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office with the Secretary of State. This form can be filed at any time during the year, and there is no filing fee.

The form should be mailed to:

Montana Secretary of State
PO Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620-2801

Or fax the document to: (406)-444-3976

Standard processing is 10 working days. Make checks payable to: Secretary of State.


You can expedite the Statement of Change filing by faxing the form to the Secretary of State.

Fax Number: (406)-444-3976

To expedite, you must visit the Secretary of State Online Payment Portal. You can select either Priority Handling (24-Hour Processing for $20) or Expedite Handling (1-Hour Processing for $100). You must pay for the expedite online, and then fax the document to the Secretary of State. Include your receipt with your faxed filing.